POSITION TITLE: Certified Coder – Clinics
Reports to: Senior Director of HIM, EMR & CIS
Classification: UFCW, Non-Exempt
Last Revised/Reviewed/ Approved by HR: 09/01/2021
The Certified Coder will be under the supervision of the Senior Director of HIM, EMR, and Informatics. The Certified Coder plays a key role in reviewing and analyzing medical billing and coding for processing. The Certified Coder will review and accurately code office visits and procedures for reimbursement. This position will also cross-train with coding hospital procedures and services.
1. Assign (ICD-10 CM & CPT) codes to medical charts accurately.
2. Review chart for peer review criteria, as established by Medical Staff.
3. Release charts to allow for billing process.
4. Maintain knowledge of current coding practices and communicate to department and medical staff.
5. Maintain knowledge of legislative changes that affect coding and billing activity.
6. Communicate with Supervisor and Medical Staff any areas that require improvement of documentation for coding.
7. Other duties as assigned.
Education and License:
High School Diploma or Equivalent, Required
Medical Coding Certificate; CPC or CPC-A by AAPC or CCS or CCA AHIMA License
Two years of medical coding experience, preferred
1. Understanding of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology.
2. Understanding of hospital and clinic processes
3. Ability to interact with medical and clinical staff
4. Must have knowledge of coding practices.
5. Ability to work independently or as an active member of a team
6. Strong computer skills in data entry, coding and knowledge of EMR software, Microsoft Office Suite
7. Excellent verbal and written communication skills
8. Accuracy and precise attention to detail is a must
9. Ability to multitask, prioritize and manage time efficiently.
10. Must be able to follow written and oral directions with specific attention to detail with release of information, knowledge of HIPAA compliance.
Works indoors in an air-conditioned environment. Must be able to work well with external distractions.
Frequent use of computer and phone, and other standard office machines. Must be able to stand, sit, stoop, twist, kneel, reach, push, pull using proper body mechanics and move/lift varying amounts of weight to a maximum of 30 lbs.