POSITION TITLE: Computer Network/Technical Specialist
Reports to: IT Manager
Last Revised/Reviewed/ Approved by HR:
The Computer Network/Technical Specialist will be primarily responsible for assisting with the installation and support of computers, servers, various operating systems and peripheral equipment, network equipment, and application software at the hospital and medical clinics.
- Respond to hardware and software support issues from employees for Microsoft Office applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), Phone/Voicemail, Printers, Mobile devices etc.
- Set up workstations with computers and necessary peripheral devices (scanners, printers etc.)
- Set up/remove user accounts on systems (network, email, phone, security, etc.)
- Develop and maintain local networks in ways that optimize performance and uptime
- Ensure security and privacy of networks and computer systems
- Provide orientation and guidance to users on how to operate new software and computer systems
- Organize and schedule upgrades and maintenance without deterring others from completing their work
- Perform troubleshooting to diagnose and resolve problems (repair or replace parts, debugging etc.)
- Maintain records/logs of repairs and fixes and maintenance schedule
- Identify computer or network equipment shortages and place purchase orders
- Maintain performance and documentation of existing hospital applications
- Maintain wireless access points and software throughout the district
- Repair and upgrade existing equipment and peripherals as necessary.
- Install and maintain necessary computer and application software.
- Help desk support for hardware and software
- Help keep within compliance of existing policies for:
- data backup
- emergency procedures
- employee termination procedures in regard to network and data security
- data disposal procedures
- equipment and data security procedures
- installation and use of applications including non-approved software
- new employee training
- ongoing employee training
- government standards (HIPAA)
- Familiarize employees or consultants with standardized maintenance of all hardware, software and procedures.
- Under IT Management supervision, reconfigure network as necessary for changing needs and personnel.
- Maintain operator and data security.
- Install and configure appropriate software and functions according to District specifications.
- Monitor performance, reserve capacity and proper operation of servers and all workstations.
- Maintain all equipment in good operating condition.
- Maintain inventory.
- Train all new employees in use of systems and application software where appropriate.
- Responsible for periodic retraining of current employees.
- Ensure that written policies are being followed.
- Remain current with evolving technologies and ensure technical updates to network, hardware, software, policies and procedures.
- Maintain VoIP phone system.
- Perform other assigned tasks to help maintain the overall functionality of the hospital.
- Clerical duties such as mechanical copying, scanning/filing, and light cleaning.
Education, License, and Certifications:
Certificate or Diploma from a Technical School plus one year of directly related experience, Bachelor’s preferred. Certification in appropriate network software and operating systems highly desirable
Minimum of one year of IT experience to include a customer service environment.
- Ability to function in a non-scripted helpdesk environment
- Excellent time and task management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Self-motivated, organized and able to effectively prioritize responsibilities
Works indoors in an air-conditioned environment.
Frequent use of computer and phone, and other standard office machines. Must be able to stand, sit, stoop, twist, kneel, reach, push, pull using proper body mechanics and move/lift varying amounts of weight to a maximum of 50 lbs.