This position acts in the role of cook in the Dietary Department. This ensures that proper diet orders are received and followed. Must be an essential member of a team.
- Turn on equipment to be used in meal preparation. This may include ovens, grill, steam table, warming lights, and coffee maker.
- Prepare all meals that fall within the scheduled hours for each cook’s position, according to specifications outlined on the daily production sheet and rotational menu plan.
- Prepare a variety of food items, utilizing standardized recipes and appropriate methods of preparation.
- Maintain high standards of quality food production that conserve nutritive value of foods, provide for optimal flavor, and results in attractive visual presentation.
- Organize preparation schedules to facilitate completion of all menu items within appropriate time frame, prevent extended holding times, and provide for appropriate temperature at time of serving.
- Determine the amount of each item listed on the cook’s production that needs to be prepared; control serving portions.
- At designated meal service time, set up all plates according to individual diet order, identified therapeutic needs, and individual preferences as permitted by physician’s diet order.
- Prior to meal service, record temperatures of all hot foods prepared.
- Prepare all cooked items needed by the dietary aides.
- Participate in staff meetings, dietary in-service programs and mandatory in-service presentations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Coordinate through a daily production sheet that the director provides for each of the two cook’s positions.
- Outline specific guidelines for completion of duties and the basis for performance evaluation.
- Wait on cafeteria window during assigned times per job scheduled.
- Must maintain essential teamwork and hospitality skills:
- Must have the ability to deal effectively with others as a team member.
- Must function within the Dietary Department with cooperation from other positions.
- Must have excellent interaction with all hospital personnel, patients, physicians, and the general public.
- Must demonstrate qualities of courtesy and helpfulness in keeping with hospital public relations guidelines.
- Answer phone in Dietary Department. Take messages related to diet order changes, individual patient/resident needs, and staff requests.
- Wash food-prep dishes, run through dishwasher, and put dishes away.
- Assist Dietary Aides in clearing carts and doing dishes.
- Complete daily cleaning per cleaning schedule.
- Complete daily general kitchen clean up, including sweeping and mopping of cook’s side of kitchen.
- Complete post-meal clean up on cook’s side of kitchen after every meal; put away leftovers in an appropriate manner.
- Set up late trays as ordered.
- Maintain all sanitation guidelines related to safe handling of food.
- Maintain strict adherence to safe handling of food.
- Maintain strict adherence to all rules and regulations pertaining to dishwashing and general cleaning.
- Maintain proper temperature of foods at all times.
- Follow all safety rules established by facility.
- Serve on in-house committees.
Director of Dietary
Education and License:
High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
Completion of culinary school, or attend vocational or apprenticeship program, preferred.
Basic Life Support (BLS)
Must have completed a formal training program in institutional cooking or have two years previous experience in quantity food preparation.