As a team member of the Acute Care Staff, the CNA performs basic nursing care procedures under the direction of the Registered Nurse.
Demonstrates compassion, respect, and caring attitude while working within the scope of a Certified Nursing Assistant, to provide care to patients and assistance to their families and visitors. Works collaborating with all other healthcare team members toward the best outcomes for the patient and the organization. All job duties are performed in a manner that demonstrates Lower Umpqua Hospital’s “Partners in Care” philosophy.
- Assists patient with activities of daily living (ADL’s) – AM and PM care, bathing, dressing, grooming, and toileting by assisting in use of bedpans, urinals, and commodes.
- Perform oral care, hair care, peri-care, and catheter care.
- Give backrubs and special skin care as needed.
- Monitor and records intake and output.
- Weighs patient and document weight as ordered by physician.
- Assist patients by delivering and setting up meal trays and assists with feeding as needed. Keep patient supplied with fresh drinking water if allowed.
- Assist with repositioning, transferring from bed, chair commodes, or stretcher, and assists with ambulation. Assists with range of motion (ROM) activities.
- Takes vital signs on adults, children, and infants as directed.
- Accurately documents and reports to nurse any abnormal findings, change in status, observations, concerns, or complaints.
- Assists with special procedures as directed, i.e., admission and discharges, pre- and post-operative care, and post-mortem care.
- Answers call lights for all patients in a courteous and timely manner. Positions the call light within reach of the patient.
- Assist in ICU rooms when needed.
- Maintain an attractive, safe, and comfortable patient environment by keeping patient rooms neat and tidy, assuring side rails and other safety measures are in use.
- Maintains a safe and clean work environment in such areas as the nurse’s station, utility room, linen room, pantry, lounge, and other areas as applicable.
- Re-stocks patient supplies.
- Monitors patient care equipment to maintain good working order and safe patient use.
- Performs all other functions defined in scope of practice and within training knowledge and as directed by supervisor.
- Upon discharge of patient, strips bed.
- Deposits dirty linen in laundry hampers and removes bags to storage bin in utility room when bag is half full.
- Chart daily on all swing bed patients
- Order supplies.
- Clean equipment after use (i.e., pumps, IV poles, etc.)
- At the end of shift the following items needed to be completed:
- Empty Linen hamper
- Refill Ice bucket
- Clean both utility rooms
- Empty trash in all patient rooms (including ICU)
- All over bed tables are to be clean and clutter free.
- Break room and Report room are to be cleaned.
- Linen carts are to be filled.
Education and License:
High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
Current CNA certificate from Oregon State Board of Nursing.
Basic Life Support (BLS), or be able to obtain within 60 days of hire.