Employment type: Full-Time
Department: Retail Pharmacy
Reedsport, OR 97467
Under direct supervision of a registered pharmacist, the Certified Pharmacy Technician assists the pharmacist in the practice of pharmacy in accordance with state and federal regulations and hospital policies. The Certified Pharmacy Technician prepares medications that are reviewed by a pharmacist before being dispensed to patients. This Technician also helps pharmacists with other administrative tasks, such as processing insurance claims, tracking of inventory, and ensuring maintenance of patient and other required records.
- Performs all job duties and functions under supervision of a registered pharmacist and within the scope of practice for a Certified Pharmacy Technician, as defined by the Oregon State Board of Pharmacy.
- Complies with federal and state laws and regulations, and maintains operations by adhering to hospital and pharmacy policies and procedures.
- Works in the assigned area and/or rotates through different assigned shifts in accordance with completed competencies and training.
- Maintains proficiency in clerical and cashier job functions, including using the point of sale systems (cash register).
- Processes medication orders and prescriptions and prepares them to be verified by the pharmacist.
- Processes third-party billing claims and assists with prior authorization completion.
- Maintains pharmacy inventory, orders and stocks areas appropriately, verifies receipt, and removes outdated drugs from the pharmacy and from assigned units.
- Follows inventory management pharmacy policies and diversion monitoring controls, and immediately reports any discrepancies to the pharmacist.
- Accurately enters data into pharmacy computer, collect patient information, credits and debits accurately, and maintains other required records
- Prepares sterile admixtures in accordance with established policies and procedures. Understands principle of laminar flow hood and the proper use of all equipment in the pharmacy.
- Repackages all drugs needed and labels these accurately
- Prepares and delivers medications accurately to nursing units and clinics and notifies Pharmacist of any problems.
- Manages and refills medication stock in automatic dispensing machines in all patient care areas.
- Performs monthly nursing unit inspections and other quality-assurance data.
- Assists in training new employees and students.
- Maintains a safe and clean pharmacy by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Communicates effectively with team members to collaborate on unaccomplished tasks that need to be done.
- Demonstrates knowledge of hazardous materials and associated safety practices.
- Demonstrates proficiency in hospital computer systems and software programs and applicable pharmacy equipment, such as automated dispensing units.
- Demonstrates effective communication in writing, phone etiquette, and communication with staff and co-workers.
- Attends department meetings and other committees as assigned and provides ideas and solutions to problems. Voices ideas/opinions in staff meetings. Works on project(s) that contribute to the development and subsequent improvement of the Pharmacy.
- Demonstrates ability to multitask and work in an environment with frequent interruptions.
- Maintains regular, consistent and punctual attendance at the assigned job location.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
Education and License:
- Graduation from high school (or equivalent)
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification required (must be obtained within 60 days of hire)
- Current Certified Oregon Pharmacy Technician license preferred
- Certification through Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) or National Healthcare Association (NHA) required
- Relevant advanced certification through Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) preferred (i.e. Certified Compounded Sterile Preparation Technician, Medication Therapy Management Certificate)
- Minimum of 1 year of pharmacy work experience preferred
Works indoors in an air-conditioned office environment.
Frequent use of computer and phone, and standard office machines. Must be able to stand, sit, stoop, twist, kneel, reach, push, pull using proper body mechanics and move/lift varying amounts of weight to a maximum of 50 lbs.
This is a Full-Time position that is eligible for benefits.