Lower Umpqua Hospital District is a not-for-profit 16-bed Critical Access Hospital (CAH) located on the Central Oregon Coast.
As the full-service healthcare facility for coastal Douglas County, Lower Umpqua Hospital is proud to offer the full spectrum of modern health services with a comfortable, friendly small-town ambience.
In the early 1950’s, a non-profit corporation called the Lower Umpqua Association was formed to deal with the need for local medical care in coastal Douglas County.
In 1954, a Lower Umpqua Area Hospital District was formed that included the Reedsport, Winchester Bay, Gardiner and Scottsburg areas. Donations from the community and three major lumber companies, as well as tax levies, formed the financial base with which to start a new hospital. With the help of a Hill-Burton grant, a federal grant to aid in building rural area hospitals, the hospital was built in the early 1960s.
The hospital, built in the form of a modified Maltese cross, opened February 3, 1964 with eighteen acute care beds and twenty-two nursing home beds. Equipment to furnish the rooms and various departments was donated by civic and fraternal groups and individuals in the community. Dr. Rickard W. McLean was the first Chief of Staff, and an elected five-member Board of Directors administered the affairs of the hospital under the auspices of the Lower Umpqua Hospital District.
The hospital was managed by independent hospital administrators until 1977 when A.E. Brim and Associates, Inc., hospital management consultants, were hired to manage the hospital. This group relationship continued until December of 1988 when a new management relationship with Bay Area Hospital was developed. In 1991, the Board of Directors converted back to management by independent administrator.
The ambulance service was added in 1966. In 1981, an intensive/coronary care unit was added and surgical services were expanded. In 1982, the Lower Umpqua Hospital Home Health Agency was licensed to provide skilled nursing and rehabilitation care for patients in their homes. In 1984, skilled nursing home beds were certified in the nursing home. In 1989, our 25th year, Lower Umpqua Hospital completed construction of an expanded emergency room and an outpatient clinic where visiting Physician Specialists would meet the needs of the community. In 1992, the Hospice Service became certified and an Ambulance Membership Program began.
A major expansion and remodel of the entire facility was completed in February 1998. This created all new acute care rooms, now numbering 17 licensed beds, and the Extended Care Unit or Nursing Home was able to expand through a certificate of need process to 35 beds. The remodel enabled a new radiology suite, two operating rooms, a CT scanner and the medical records department was combined with the business office. A mobile MRI service was also added.
In the year 2000, a medical office building was built in close proximity to meet the needs of local quality medical staff providers.
The hospital became a Critical Access Hospital on July 24, 2002, and increased the Medical Surgical licensed beds to 24, reducing nursing home beds to 29, in 2005.
In 2006 the hospital transferred ownership of Home Health Care and Hospice to Pacific Home Health and Hospice. In 2010 the hospital increased the nursing home beds back to 29 and leased the extended care unit to Aidan Senior Living.
The Reedsport Medical Clinic became part of the Lower Umpqua Hospital District on December 1, 2005 and in 2006 Nuclear Medicine was added.
In 2010 the ownership of the Nursing Home was transferred to Aidan Senior Living at Reedsport and Hospital beds were reduced to 16.
The electronic health record (EHR) was implemented in 2011.
Dunes Family Health Care became part of the Lower Umpqua Hospital District on August 7, 2013.